Sunday 28 April 2013

Leading Ladder Grand Final 2013

Today was the final of my first ever leading ladder.

Yesterday, the 26th of April 2013, I took the train from London Euston to Oxenholme. We then took a taxi to our luxurious hotel, Travelodge Kendal. After a good night's sleep, we headed off to the Lakeland climbing centre. A little apprehensive about these renowned 25 meter walls, a looked at my routes and they seemed hard, and very out of my comfort zone. 

I warmed up, them ran up the 6b+. I then went on the 6c; I climbed quite steadily until the roof section. I was just about to top out but a hold span. Thanks to my toe hook I stayed on (just about) and clipped the chain. I learned later on that I had in fact span the hold into place and made the move easier for the next climbers. 

 Next up was the 6c+. I belayed Hannah Wuensche, who got extremely high up considering her ongoing injuries. It was then my turn to try it. A long route on a vertical wall. this suited my perfectly and I topped out, although some moves were quite powerful. 

I had a short break, then eyed up the 7a. A short 7 clip route with very powerful moves. After hearing that only Alex Waterhouse had topped it, I was a little scared. I climbed up the route quite easily, but the crux section saw me getting very pumped. I got to the two finger pocket, but the final move which consisted of dynoing from the pocket to a crimp threw me off. 

I took a long rest and had a bite to eat before signing up for the 7a+, which was on the 25 meter overhanging wall. It looked daunting but I was excited to climb on the tallest indoor wall of Britain. So I got on and arrived quite quickly to the bonus hold, a huge jug. I rested, but apparently not sufficiently, as I started to get very pumped on the most overhanging section of the wall. I fought through it, and arrived at the last few moves. I was approaching the no hands rest, and tried to get to it quickly. Bad decision, as I couldn't stick a big move because of my tired arms, and I swung off. I was quite happy with how I had climbed, although I could have managed my time a bit better. 

This put me into joint 2nd position with Catrin Rose and behind fellow Westway climber Grace Fidler, a great result! 

At the prize ceremony, the judges made a counting error and put Catrin, Grace and me in joint 1st position. This was soon rectified and I was back in 2nd place. Grace deserved to be champion, as she put on an exceptional performance on the 7a+, which she flashed! 

It was a very fun day and I enjoyed the climbing very much as well as the Kendal mint cakes! 

No comments:

Post a Comment